29.3.06

Writing Hurts and a TAR Ramble

I worked towards meeting my 2000 word writing quote for yesterday (I fell 250 words short), I remembered an incident from my MA exams.

When I wrote the last of my exams way back in 2000, I sat in a tiny, airless, windowless room and typed for three hours. I typed sixteen pages. 4500 words. It was a lot. I ran into my examiner the day after the exam and his one comment in addition to "You passed!" was "You wrote a lot." He then shook his head slowly and scuttled off.

One of my colleagues figured out that if I wrote at that rate and didn't need to edit or stop to eat, sleep, or go to the bathroom, I could actually write my dissertation in around two days.

Wouldn't that be nice?

At least this next chapter is almost ready for a good scrub. I wish that I could write today but there's no time.

I do, however, have a few extra minutes to comment on TAR. There's a spoiler below.

I might have met my writing quota if The Amazing Race hadn't been on. I did stop watching it towards the end because I have enough stress as it is and my favourite teams are hanging out at the end of the pack. At this point, it looks like I'll ultimately be pulling for the lesser of two evils. Team Hippie annoys the living daylights out of me (and that faux Italian accent thing made me want to shot them) but they're obviously smart (well, except for that faux Italian accent schtick) and well-travelled. Team Choad, on the other hand, is all heteronormativity, which gets old pretty quickly. As Miss Alli over on Television without Pity remarked about Eric and Jeremy:

There isn't anything entertaining about these guys. They're not villains; they're not anything. If you want to see these guys, all you have to do is go to TGIFriday's on a Thursday. No one fucking cares.


That must be why I never go to TGIFriday's.

I'm not sad in the least to see Danielle and Dani go but I am a bit disturbed by how everyone over on the TwoP forums is praising the host for calling them out for being skanks. I'd call them out for having questionable taste in men but not on actually hooking up. Getting laid is a fine thing. Stupid heteronormativity again. Phil, I'm totally bummed that you bought into this pile of poop.

No comments: